PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SERVICES > Engine Coolant
1. REPLACEMENT OF COOLANT
The radiator is of the pressurized type. Do not attempt to open the radiator cap immediately after the engine has been stopped.
1. Lift-up the vehicle.
2. Remove the under cover.
3. Place a container under drain pipe.
4. Loosen and remove the drain cock to drain engine coolant into container.
5. For quick draining, open the radiator cap.
Be careful not to spill coolant on the floor.
6. Drain the coolant from reservoir tank.
7. Tighten the drain cock securely after draining coolant.
8. Pour the cooling system conditioner through the filter neck.
Cooling system protective agent:
COOLING SYSTEM CONDITIONER (Part No. SOA635071)
9. Slowly pour the coolant from radiator filler port to neck of filler, then pour into reservoir tank up to “FULL” level.
Coolant capacity (fill up to “FULL” level):
Turbo AT model
Approx. 7.3 L (7.7 US qt, 6.4 Imp qt)
Turbo MT model
Approx. 7.4 L (7.8 US qt, 6.5 Imp qt)
Non-turbo AT model
Approx. 6.8 L (7.2 US qt, 6.0 Imp qt)
Non-turbo MT model
Approx. 6.9 L (7.3 US qt, 6.1 Imp qt)
The SUBARU Genuine Coolant containing anti-freeze and anti-rust agents is especially made for SUBARU engine, which has an aluminum crankcase. Always use SUBARU Genuine Coolant, since other coolant may cause corrosion.
10. Securely install the radiator cap.
11. Run the engine for more than 5 minutes at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. (Run the engine until radiator becomes hot in order to purge the air trapped in cooling system.)
12. Stop the engine and wait until coolant temperature lowers. Then open the radiator cap to check coolant level and add coolant up to radiator filler neck. Next, add coolant into reservoir tank up to “FULL” level.
13. After adding coolant, securely install the radiator and reservoir tank caps.
2. RELATIONSHIP OF SUBARU COOLANT CONCENTRATION AND FREEZING TEMPERATURE
The concentration and safe operating temperature of the SUBARU Genuine Coolant is shown in the diagram. Measuring the temperature and specific gravity of the coolant will provide this information.
If the coolant temperature is 25°C (77°F) and its specific gravity is 1.054 and the concentration is 35% (point A), the safe operating temperature is ?14°C (7°F) (point B), and the freezing temperature is ?20°C (?4°F) (point C).
3. PROCEDURE TO ADJUST THE CONCENTRATION OF THE COOLANT
To adjust the concentration of the engine coolant according to temperature, find the proper fluid concentration in the above diagram and replace the necessary amount of coolant with an undiluted solution of SUBARU Genuine Coolant (concentration 50%).
The amount of coolant that should be replaced can be determined using the diagram.
Assume that the engine coolant concentration must be increased from 25% to 40%. Find point A, where the 25% line of the engine coolant concentration intersects with the 40% curve of the necessary the engine coolant concentration, and read the scale on the vertical axis of the graph at height A. The quantity of the engine coolant to be drained is 2.1L (2.2 US qt, 1.8 Imp qt). Drain 2.1 L (2.2 US qt, 1.8 Imp qt) of coolant from the cooling system and add 2.1L (2.2 US qt, 1.8 Imp qt) of the undiluted solution of SUBARU Genuine Coolant.
If the engine coolant concentration of 50% is needed, drain all the coolant and refill with the undiluted solution only.
2017-02-20 18:50:32 2017-05-11 10:18:46